Yet another vegan blog. Obsessed with cookies. Addicted to peanut butter. Fighting for the vegan revolution!

Sunday, January 6, 2008

Cue The Victory Music!

Today, I made the V-Con Lemon Bars (recipe on the PPK, too). On the outside, I am quietly excited that they turned out so well. On the inside, I am jumping up and down with the Rocky theme music playing. I just don't even know what to say. Actually, I don't know if I have ever had a lemon bar before. Now, I have a belly full of lemony jelly. I was worried they wouldn't work. For one thing, I have never used agar flakes before, and another thing, I didn't have any arrowroot so I used cornstarch instead. Here's how it started:

The crust. No problems there. Oh, yeah. I forgot to mention I halved the recipe. I didn't want a whole pan of failure on my hands, and now I regret it since they turned out AMAZING.

After cooking the goo. Sweet, sweet lemony goo.

Precisely three hours after chilling in the fridge, and sprinkled with sugar. They set very well. Actually, I checked them after an hour and they had already set quite a bit. I waited to be on the safe side. It was hard, trust me.

Perfection on a plate. Sigh.

In between all the goo-chilling, I made cookies. Surprise. Friday I bought a package of Cool Mint Oreos and wanted to put them to good use. I went with this recipe from Have Cake, Will Travel (originally from Cookie Madness). I went as is with the recipe, only adding about a 1/8 teaspoon of wintermint oil to the mix. Overall they have a nice minty flavor, and the green Oreo filling adds color. I got 15 total.


No comments: