Yet another vegan blog. Obsessed with cookies. Addicted to peanut butter. Fighting for the vegan revolution!

Saturday, January 5, 2008

Zucchini & Pumpkin

On New Year's Day I got dressed to go to the store. I was bored since I was off from work and I had some Christmas cash in my hot little hands begging to be spent. After pulling jeans and boots on, and even going so far as to put my coat on, I realized I didn't feel like going anywhere and that it was too cold outside anyways. Thirty degrees for the high is pretty unusual here in the south, and at those temps I just want to hibernate. Anyways, to warm up I danced around the kitchen making muffins and cookies. I have been on a mission to make an un-cakey pumpkin cookie and I had a recipe I believed to be the winner of that title. I have had this little book sitting on a rack in the kitchen and I have never given it a thought until this past fall, when pumpkins were so rampant. It's called The Pumpkin Cookbook. The cookies on the cover are the ones I speak of. They are a roll out and cut cookie. I halved the recipe and got 9 cookies. My cutters must have been bigger than the ones they used, since it says the entire recipe yields 50 cookies. Here they are in all their naked glory:


I used some cutesy cutters I found at the Dollar Tree. They have a nice pale orange color to them, and only a subtle pumpkin taste. In the future I will add more pumpkin and spices. Overall they aren't too sweet, so I added a glaze to them instead of the frosting called for. They are a nice, crisp pumpkin cookie.

Up close and shiny:

I should mention that while the dough for the cookies was chilling, I made zucchini muffins. I used the same recipe as the previous Zucchini Spice Bread from here, only I left the gumdrops out this time and added the currants and walnuts as directed. These were for work, and they are a bunch of squares.

I absolutely HATE using muffin liners. I only use them when I take muffins or cupcakes to work. Sigh. These turned out very well, and moist, again.

One of my co-workers told me never to bring the pumpkin cookies again, as she could not keep her hands off them. I take that as the highest compliment.

No comments: