Yet another vegan blog. Obsessed with cookies. Addicted to peanut butter. Fighting for the vegan revolution!

Sunday, June 29, 2008

Booooberries

I never read recipes all the way through. I just pull one out that I want to make, and as I am gathering everything I will need out of the cupboards to make it, that's when I realize I am missing an ingredient. I whipped out Vegan with a Vengence this morning in search of a good blueberry recipe. Obviously it wasn't blueberries that I was missing or else I wouldn't have wanted a blueberry-specific recipe. I decided to make the Blueberry Coffee Cake and take it to work in the morning. It would be great for breakfast. While doing the ingredient rundown I stopped with an exclaimation of "oh, man!" at the need for maple syrup. I never keep that stuff around. I didn't want to sub regular sugar, I'm trying to be healthy here, so I reached for the agave nectar. I had about 1/2 cup worth. Hmm. A dig further into the nether regions of my upper kitchen cabinets revealed a never opened jar of brown rice syrup. Score! I used that to make up the full cup of liquid sweetener. The only other sub. I made was to use half whole wheat pastry flour and half all purpose. The end result is to be determined. The batter was the awesomest, if that says anything for it. We'll find out tomorrow if it is omni-approved.

No comments: