Yet another vegan blog. Obsessed with cookies. Addicted to peanut butter. Fighting for the vegan revolution!

Sunday, December 16, 2007

Feeling Christmas

Nothing says Christmas to me more than gingerbread and peppermint. I am in no mood to spend hours making and decorating gingerbread men this year, so to satisfy the gingerbread monster deep within me, I made Gingerbread Biscotti from the recipe over at the Fat Free Vegan Kitchen blog. I've never eaten biscotti. I've never made biscotti. So this was quite an experience for me. I used all unbleached AP flour and ended up having to add about 3 tablespoons of water at the end to make the dough stick together. Here's my logs after round 1 of baking:


Obviously my shaping technique leaves something to be desired. Okay, I suck. The finished product:

I got 16 happy little biscotti, not counting the end pieces. I guess I cut 'em too big. Oh, well. The taste? Subtle and spicy. They are crunchy at first, then become chewy and finally melt in your mouth. Why have I shunned biscotti for so long? I have no reason to dislike the crunchy cookie any longer. Bonus:

Crispy...

On to the next order of bizness: peppermint. The other day one of my co-worker's gave me a mug full of peppermints as a gift. Sadly the only gift from a co-worker that I could actually eat, despite them knowing of my dietary habits. Knowing I should do something special with peppermints this year, I hoarded them until inspiration hit. Inspiration hit me on friday afternoon when I checked the A Vegan Ice Cream Paradise blog. I knew I had to make the Chocolate Candy Cane Ice Cream. Sadly I had no arrowroot, nor have I been able to find any around here. I turned to V-con for help. I used the vanilla ice cream recipe in it, opting for the addition of melted chocolate, and then I obliterated my peppermints (in a baggie with a mallet). So this morning I blended up everything but the peppermints, and stuck it in the fridge to chill. After about 7 hours it had firmed up nicely. It actually looked like mousse. I was tempted to stop here and just eat it all then. I forced myself to push on, knowing it would be even better as a frosty dessert. I poured it into my ice cream maker, which has been sitting under my kitchen counter unused for the past TWO YEARS. Crazy! I put the bowl in the freezer last night as directed. In the ice cream maker:

The peppermints waiting to be added:
I poured them in after about 10 minutes, and continued to crank every two minutes until it had been 20 minutes total. My impatientness got the best of me. I started eating straight out of the freezer bowl. It is very creamy, chocolatey and pepperminty. I spooned the rest of it into a freezer safe tupperware bowl and put it in the freezer to harden more, and to eat later of course. I am currently riding the ice cream sugar high. Weeeeeeeeeeee!

Look! It's ice cream!

Last week I mailed out my last two Christmas packages. After a marathon knitting spree (about 4 hours worth) I cranked out a scarf to fill the small, empty space I had in one of the boxes. It turned out to be a big hit with her, and I'm glad.



It's a very sparkly, fuzzy yarn. It only took one ball, about 50 grams, for the scarf and fringe. For another friend, I knit an ankle bracelet using blue beads with a few charms mixed in. There's a pegasus, a knight on a horse and a dragon. It was supposed to be a bracelet, but came out a wee bit big. Perfect for an anklet though.

I'm tired just thinking about all that. I think I need more ice cream.

No comments: