Yet another vegan blog. Obsessed with cookies. Addicted to peanut butter. Fighting for the vegan revolution!

Friday, November 23, 2007

Thanksgiving...

this year, as usual, was very non-traditional. We indulged in a large pot of vegetable soup with cornbread muffins. Oh, yeah, there was pumpkin pie; that was the only normal part of the meal. After a non-successful try at the cornbread recipe in V-con (I'm sure it was all my fault!), I pulled out La Dolce Vegan and made Wolffie's "Buttermilk" Cornbread into muffins. I halved the recipe and came out with 7 golden beauties. Some of the best cornbread I have had in a while. I accidentally halved everything but the sugar. Still good.

Unfortunately, I do not have a pic of the soup. It consisted of kidney beans, carrots, potatoes, peas, green beans, onions, corn and tomatoes. It was perfect for the weather we are experiencing. Yesterday we went from the mid-70's to the 40's. It was snowing this morning.

My baby was the pie. I made Bryanna Clark Grogan's tofu-less pumpkin pie this year. Last year I made a tofu based one. Guess which one tasted the best...yeah, NOT the tofu one. Last year was my first experience with a tofu-based pie. I definitely picked up on the soybean aftertaste. This year was a taste success. The pie was creamy and not too spicy. I used 3 Tbsp of cornstarch and I did cut back a bit on the spices after reading other's opinions. It firmed up nicely after sitting all night.

Yes, I was too lazy to make my own crust. It was very late, and I was very tired. Sue me.

Freshly cut. Radiating yumminess. Pure, vegan yumminess. Eat that, omnis. I think I am going to make another one of these for the December birthday party at work.

No comments: