Yet another vegan blog. Obsessed with cookies. Addicted to peanut butter. Fighting for the vegan revolution!

Sunday, March 30, 2008

Tart and sweet - Just like me

On a note unrelated to what I actually baked today, I think I finally perfected my hummus. I like mine bare bones and spicy, and with garlic you will be tasting for days. Really, I am still burping garlic today. My ingredients: one can of chickpeas, one tablespoon tahini, 1/4 teaspoon red pepper, 1/4 teaspoon cumin, 1/4 teaspoon salt, approximately 1/2 to 1 tablespoon of dried garlic flakes (I just shook the container, I didn't measure it) and water added for desired thickness. Perfection.

Now on to today's endeavors...

Thursday night I happened upon the most beautiful, bright, ruby red rhubarb I have ever seen. So beautiful, yet so expensive. I only bought two stalks, but that was plenty. Since I am the only person I know that likes the tang of rhubarb, I made only a half batch of muffins, and froze the rest of the rhubarb. I went to the only rhubarb muffin recipe I will ever need, from ExtraVeganZa - Rhubarb Pecan(less) Muffins (I'm not big on nuts). Previously seen here. They were made with all whole wheat pastry flour and agave nectar instead of maple syrup. The book says to bake for 30 minutes, but mine were done in about 23 minutes. Hmm.

It kind of looks like it is floating, eh?

The picture is working my tastebuds into a frenzy. Moist and tart. The way they should be.

To distract myself from their beauty, I made Oatmeal Raisin Cookies from The Joy of Vegan Baking. I have tried a lot of oatmeal cookies. A LOT. I have searched for the perfect oatmeal cookie, and I think I found it. Chewy and sweet and delusionally healthy (they have bran in them!). I got a perfect half batch out of it, 21 cookies. I added chocolate chips along with the raisins, and used sucanat for brown sugar. I think it was really the ratio of brown sugar to granulated sugar that made these.

Death Row: Where Cookies Prepare to Meet Their Maker('s stomach).

I have many more pics, but for some reason my camera was not in focus and they all came out blurry. Sure, the camera pretended like it was focusing, but it didn't.


Not all the cookies. Somebody (not me, I swear) snuck up behind me while I was wearing headphones and made off with cookies. They are so good, people are ashamed of how many they will eat. I must share this one:

Oatmeal Raisin Cookies from The Joy of Vegan Baking by Colleen Patrick-Goudreau

(this is for a half batch, approx. 21 cookies)

1 Tablespoon ground flaxseed, equiv. to one egg
3 Tablespoons water
1/2 cup non-hydrogenated, non-dairy butter, softened (Earth Balance works best for me)
3/4 cup firmly packed light or dark brown sugar
1/8 cup granulated sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3/4 cup + 2 Tablespoons unbleached all-purpose flour
1/4 cup oat bran (I used wheat bran instead)
1/4 + 1/8 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 + 1/8 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 1/2 cups rolled oats (not quick cooking)
1/2 cup raisins
1/2 cup non-dairy chocolate chips (my addition)

Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees.

Lightly oil 3 cookies sheets or line with parchment paper.

In a blender or food processor, whip together the flaxseed and water until thick and creamy. The consistency will be somewhat gelatinous. By hand or using an electric hand mixer, cream together the butter, sugars, vanilla and flaxseed mixture until well blended.

In a separate bowl, thoroughly combine the flour, oat bran, baking soda, baking powder, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg. Add to the butter mixture and mix until well blended and smooth. Stir in the rolled oats and raisins (and chocolate chips if using) until thoroughly combined.

Use a tablespoon to scoop up some dough and, with lightly greased hands, lightly press the cookies to form 1/2 inch thick rounds. Bake until the cookies are golden brown, 12 to 15 minutes (it took only 10 minutes for me). Remove from the oven and allow the cookies to firm up for a few minutes while still on the cookie sheet. Transfer the cookies to a wire rack to cool.

Eat, eat, eat!

No comments: